Keeping up with trends, whether commercially or only as an observer, can be a fun hobby! There’s so much variety, beauty, and class in this world. However, trends in fashion, décor, and even lighting, revolve quickly. If you’re thinking of replacing a more permanent part of your home, such as the flooring, plumbing, or lighting, it’s tricky to be trendy and timeless at the same time.
So how do you decide? Should you choose the latest look, with all the “Ooh”s and “Ahhh”s it’ll bring? Or should you be conservative and avoid something you’ll regret in 5 years? After all, tiny details can date a home. You know, wallpaper from the 70’s, pink tile in the 80’s, burgundy and forest green from the 90’s, bronze and faux finishes from the early 2000’s…
There isn’t one right way to go about this, nor is there one easy answer to the “trendy vs. timeless” debate. However, here are a few things to consider.
It’s Not All or Nothing
You may love some of the styles that have withstood the test of time: subway tile, herringbone (fabric and flooring), or wood floors. That’s great! On the other hand, that doesn’t mean that you can’t also incorporate this year’s hot paint colors and some trendy macramé hangings into your décor as well. Don’t try to decide everything at once, and don’t base all your decisions off of one piece of your home.
Consider Your Resale Plans
There are some cases when it’s better to choose trendy décor and finishes, even if the current trend is not your personal favorite. If you’re building a new home, remodeling, or flipping a home with any intention to sell soon, go trendy. Homes that are on trend show well and sell faster.
Though you could argue that “minimalism” is a trend in itself, we’re convinced that good use of space is timeless. Though it can be tempting to fill every shelf or cover every wall with your latest finds, an over-decorated, crowded space diminishes the artistic effect of any style. In addition, it’ll be easier to update your look later if you have few, carefully chosen accent pieces that can rotate with the next trend.
Be Smart About Trendy
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t have unlimited time and funds to remodel the kitchen or buy a new couch every time popular trend takes a new direction. However, there are plenty of simple, cost-effective ways to make your space trendy and new. Here’s a list of our favorite ideas!
1. Change an indoor paint color. Indoor paint runs its course in about 5 years, so it makes sense. You could even start with a small room… less time, big reward!
2. Rotate your rug or change it altogether. Rugs have a natural knap to them depending on how they are woven. A quick rotation may surprise you with a significant difference.
3. Update your throw pillows on the bed and couches. It’s a quick, cost-effective change!
4. Especially during the winter, add a plant or some kind of earthy décor element to bring a natural, refreshing feel to your space.
5. Switch out some art. Frames may be pricey, but prints usually aren’t! Buy a new family photo, modern print, or custom piece of art to freshen up your frames
6. Replace a key lighting fixture. In addition to updating your look, switching to new bulbs will save you money on your utility bill. Check out our catalog for some good recommendations!
7. Buy new dish towels or dinnerware. An extra pop of color can change the atmosphere in the kitchen or add some extra fun at dinner.
Make Your Home Your Own
Trends will come and go… And traditional styles? Even there, there’s a ton of variation! Contemporary. Transitional. Rustic. Vintage. Urban. Eclectic… no matter the style, take the time to create a home environment that speaks to you. If it suits your needs and appeals to your unique style, it’ll be timeless. Best of luck from Fandango Lights and Decor in your decorating adventures!